Friday, June 29, 2012

Welcome to the World, Mason Jeremy

I've been meaning to post since Saturday, but it turns out that babies take up a lot of time! :)

The newest love of my life was born June 23rd at 5:29am.  I'm still in shock that he's here and he's mine. 
Birth story (if you care): Last Friday morning I woke up and was 100% miserable... simply tired of being pregnant, and tired of waiting.  I had scheduled a massage for that afternoon, and made it very clear to the masseuse that I was 39 1/2 weeks pregnant and she should feel free to focus on pressure points that supposedly induce labor.  Post massage, I decided that I may as well follow up with a pedicure.  Nice few hours of pampering...  That evening Ryan and I settled into our "routine" of dinner and TV watching.  At 6:15ish I experienced my first "real" contraction.  I did not enjoy it...  20 minutes later same thing.  Ryan downloaded an contraction counting app (of course) and we watched the timing closely.  I decided after the 5th or 6th painful contraction that this may be the real deal.  I called my parents to let them know I was seriously contemplating heading to the hospital.  They decided they'd get on the road from Atlanta shortly thereafter.  My contractions rapidly got closer together and more intense.  I started to mildly panic when they were only 4 or 5 minutes apart and a minute long.  We were en route to the hospital around 9:30 (complete with a Starbucks stop...because how could I possibly go into labor without a latte??)  We arrived at the hospital, and I was completely convinced that the contractions were going to rip me in half.  Good God, they hurt!!  I checked into the Baby Center only to be told that I was only 3 cm dilated, and they couldn't officially admit me yet.  We had to walk around the hospital for 2 hours in the hopes that I'd show cervix progression.  Holy shit, those were the two most excruciating hours of my life.  In my mind, the contractions would be uncomfortable enough to take notice, then I'd immediately be checked in and hooked up to my epidural.  That's definitely not how it happened.  After our terrible 2 hour walk, my contractions were only 2 minutes apart, and I had progressed to 5 cm.  Thank God!  Bring on the epidural!  It was glorious.  How women give birth without drugs, I'll never understand.  I dilated quickly, so they had me start pushing around 3am.  Pushing sucks too, fyi, but at least it's not painful.  I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed some more.  The nurse told me that I was "almost there" for an hour and a half.  Total crap of course, but long(er) story short, Mason finally made his way through the birth canal and arrived at 5:29.




What a surreal moment... I'm still foggy on the details.  I remember the baby being placed on my chest immediately just staring at each other.  Poor Ryan didn't actually get to hold his son for almost 2 hours after his birth.  Celebration hospital is serious about the mommy/baby bonding time, so between the nurses cleaning him up and all of the poking and prodding, and the lactation nurse trying to teach us how to breastfeed, it was a long time before any one was allowed in the room.  My siblings had arrived around 3:30am and my parents arrived just after 5:00.  They finally got to meet the baby around 8:30.

Proud daddy with his son

Grammy's turn

Poor Aunt Mollie had been sleeping on the floor in the waiting room

Now with Uncle Michael (or Mikey, or whatever you want to be called)

Pretty... 
Grandad finally got to hold him!


I promise to post more details and pictures from the past week soon, but I'm tired of typing, and you're probably tired of reading.  :)  All in all, he's amazing and perfect.  Mommy and Daddy are tired, but adjusting well.  We are very thankful that my parents are here to help this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment